What is explicit instruction?
- Explicit instruction is a direct way of teaching skills and strategies.
- Implicit learning is limited in place of concrete/specific learning.
- This benefits all types of individuals because it removes inferential learning (where mistakes can be made)
- This removes assumptions in the learning process (e.g. “you should know this”)
What is the general explicit instruction process?
- Set a learning goal
- Break the goal down into component parts to be taught
- Model how to do the skills with concrete examples
- Cognitively model through the thought process
- Shift the “doing” to the client to observe practice
- Provide feedback and insight as the individual does more and more independently