What are executive functions?
- A set of cognitive skills and abilities that help people set goals, strategize to achieve goals, adapt when necessary, and persist through to completion.
- Described as goal-directed behaviors. Executive functions help us navigate changing circumstances and problem-solving.
- Three core executive functions (inhibitory controls, working memory, and cognitive flexibility) form the foundation for higher order skills.
- Read more about each executive function on our Executive Function Page
How are executive functions related to coaching?
Coaching assists in the development of executive functions in three main ways:
- The teaching of specific skills and strategies
- The adapting of those skills and strategies and strategies to what works best for you
- The maintenance of these skills and strategies so they become second nature (accountability coaching)